06-14-2018, 10:19 PM   #29
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bi0hazard View Post
Sean
Just wandering, besides chasing numbers, how do you plan to practically utilize the power? I understand your point about s55 m2 coming out, but regular old stage 2 n55 m2 is very fast already. Do you drag race ? Thanks
Apology for not replying earlier. Just noticed your message.

Using 265/35/19 RE71R at this point, I have just slight traction loss on street on 2nd gear. Once tire fully warmed, I have full traction from 2nd. Overall traction is noticeable better than stock m2 on PSS, which is acceptable.

Plus recently I just burned 11k upgrading Wheel/Tire, will receive and install them by Aug. My car will have no problem handling a linear 500hp power band and look a little nicer too

Yes, I drag race. Though I don't tune to win drag race. I think fellows here are wise enough to tell the difference. We're superficial human beings so to us acceleration thrill is a big part of fun. This may be subjective, but no, "regular stage 2 M2" as you call it, is far from being fast enough. Forget about the 0-60 and 1/4 mile numbers from glorious runs, ignore "it's such a beast" feeling. Try WOT side by side with a M4 in real world please.

After all, what exactly is the big deal of having M2 S55 powered? Why does the world think that's the way M2 SHOULD come from factory? Are they just dumb enough to break the perfect balance of original M2?

Back to drag race, there is a national event called Fast4Ward held on Shanghai F1 circuit, which I already had fun participating last year and will do again at year end. I need to know the real world performance out of all the work I put into it.

Also we sometimes drag race at car meet, in a very safe place of course. Going WOT side by side and pulling away or getting pulled away by the competition, is one of the least illegal ways of getting very excited and getting to know performance from real world context. Plus, what's better things to do with your car in a car meeting? Track day? Of course. Just not for average drivers though. Bragging about horsepower and 1/4 mile times at night club? Come on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiesowns View Post
I'm more curious about your tuning strategy SeanWRT

hardware is one thing... but we all know the magic is much so in the software.
You're correct. Hardware is more of a support to tuning than tuning is to hardware.

On 18+psi worth load, tuning with GP500 is such a breeze that whatever is thrown at it looks made for it. Only concern would be fueling, which I'll see in winter. I have a feeling regardless I'll upgrade HPFP, just for headroom.

Dinan turbo flowed more than enough for me for 17-18psi up top, but octane can hardly hold up to high back pressure from tiny stock turbine at the boost we ran. Fueling was much less of a headache but certainly wasn't helping - little we can tweak in AFR to migrate octane stress. BUT, we're still convinced (and had it proven by dyno) boost>timing where we were. I ended up pushing to octane limit with 410+whp, compared to stock M4 ZCP 395+whp on same day. Meth would bring us to a whole new level, but it goes against my tuning code. And making that far, you'd better off jumping directly to PS2+meth.