View Single Post
      06-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #22
M2COMPHAMILTON
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 COMPETITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
I don't know if it was divine intervention, but something happened the other day that is making me second guess my decision to buy the M2 Competition...............and just to be clear, it has less to do with the M2 Comp's shortcoming/concerns, than with my own personal struggles.

Here is my situation. I am first in line at my dealer for an M2C. My wife, not a big fan of me changing/buying cars, gave me the OK to go for it, but no payments. In other words, sell my e46 M3. So with the necessary equity (if I sell the M3) and spousal approval there, I listed the car for sale on the M3 forum. FWIW, it is very clean, pretty low miles, and totally dialed in for HPDE's. It would not be easily replaced unless I spend even more than what I did on mine.

I should also mention, that I really want a 991 GT3. To me that would be the ultimate (streetable) track toy, but of course way more money and also a way bigger challenge to get the "spousal unit" to agree to. And if I get an M2 Comp now, the GT3 dream is out the window for many years to come, because she would insist that I keep the M2 for at least 3-5 years, I'm sure!

With my ad for the M3 placed, and starting to get second thoughts about letting it go, coupled with concerns about how a heavier M2C will compare, and the dream of a GT3 fading away, this happened:

I'm driving home from work in my DD. I live in semi rural area and my drive home is mostly FWY, but has a couple of lights shortly before I get to my house. At the last light I had to stop, and opposite of me I noticed a GT3. Keep in mind, this is only the second time I have seen one of those in our area, so not a common occurrence. As I am waiting, I lowered my window, so I could take in the sound of the engine when he takes off. His light turned green before mine, as there were cars turning left in his direction also, but not in mine. Secretly I was hoping he would step on it and give me the full symphony of 9k RPM, but I figured it was a long shot. But the driver did not disappoint. He flogged the car and went through the first 2 gears at WOT. Each time he shifted there was what sounded like a mini explosion, just a glorious sound of pure performance. It really made my day. As the GT3 faded off in the distance and my light turned green, I took off in my back to reality GTI thinking to myself, NOW THAT WOULD BE WORTH SELLING MY CAR FOR.

So was this just a coincidence, or was this divine intervention? Should I keep the e46 M3 and just be happy with it for another year or two and save up for a GT3, or do I get instant gratification now and get the M2C, but possibly regret it in a couple of years, wondering what could have been.
I was first in line at my dealer, got the allocation and backed out of the deal. I too was afraid of the overall weight of the car and not really sure how pure the car would really end up being. I was looking for a true drivers car for the road. I ended up ordering a Porsche 911 Carrera T. I believe this car is only 3100lbs.
Appreciate 1
termigni1081.00