06-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #9
norMcal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4 & 2013 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post
I think you should take your time and sit on it. The way I see it is you can easily get yourself a competition if and when you decide to whereas your E46 which you personally know the history and how it's been taken care of, not so much. Even if you don't decide on the M2, you can probably figure out which direction you want to take things. I would hold off selling your M3
I am starting to lean more an more in that direction. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smindustries View Post
I'm looking at new because I want a very specific configuration that no one seems to order (manual, Touring, radio delete, big fuel tank, and no other options). My ideal car is priced close to base, so it's not a great jump from a used car.

With respect to track insurance, I'm not certain you can get it for anything in excess of $100k. I haven't bought it in years, and the last thing I had it for was a 997.1 GT3 RS. The highest policy cap I could find was $100k, which was fine because at that time the car was only worth $120k. If it were totaled and they paid me $100k, I was certain I could part out what was left and make up the balance.

That said, I do advocate track insurance. I went off in the wet and flattened the left side of my RS. The repair was about $35k. Track insurance paid out with no issue.

Concerning average income, an interesting fact is that the Mercedes demographic with the highest income is buyers of E63 wagons. They average low seven-figures, if I recall correctly.

Circling back to the GT3, once you drive one you'll realize that they are the ultimate driving machine. They're extremely versatile and leave you wanting nothing but more road. I started my love affair with cars by buying BMWs, however I've come to realize that I'm not happy when there's no 911 in the garage. Go find one to drive and you'll forget all about the Competition, and you'll probably resent your M2 on the drive home.
Yes, if you have the means, the spousal approval, and can't find what you want, then you might as well go for new. The used ones are so close that it really is worth getting new, if you can swing it.

I've seen track insurance go higher than $100k, but I see it as you stated, parting out, even a totaled car, would most likely generate quite a bit of money, so no need to insure it 100%. I don't on my M3 and just do enough to ease the blow should something happen.

I've been a life long Bimmer guy, but they have lost their way a bit, while Porsche seems to be stepping it up. I was never a huge 911 fan, but I have ridden in a couple of GT3's & RS on track and recently driven my buddies 991.2 GTS. I can understand the hype now. It is for real. The M2 still has the edge as far as convenience (rear seats) and cost over a P car, but at 3600 lbs, it is going in the wrong direction for me, which is just something that adds to the dilemma, but is starting to make the decision for me.
Appreciate 0