View Single Post
      06-02-2018, 12:01 PM   #8
Smindustries
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by norMcal View Post
A new one is not in the cards for me. Even if I could, I'm not sure I would, as everything goes up exponential in price. Just track insurance alone, would be ridiculous on a new one. I'm thinking a lightly used 991.1. They seem to be in the $130k range, give or take, and might drop to low $100k in a couple of years. If so, then that would be in the cards for me.

Read recently that the average income of a new 911 buyer is $600k/yer. Boxster/Cayman $300k/year. No wonder I am not able to afford a new 911 ;-)
I'm looking at new because I want a very specific configuration that no one seems to order (manual, Touring, radio delete, big fuel tank, and no other options). My ideal car is priced close to base, so it's not a great jump from a used car.

With respect to track insurance, I'm not certain you can get it for anything in excess of $100k. I haven't bought it in years, and the last thing I had it for was a 997.1 GT3 RS. The highest policy cap I could find was $100k, which was fine because at that time the car was only worth $120k. If it were totaled and they paid me $100k, I was certain I could part out what was left and make up the balance.

That said, I do advocate track insurance. I went off in the wet and flattened the left side of my RS. The repair was about $35k. Track insurance paid out with no issue.

Concerning average income, an interesting fact is that the Mercedes demographic with the highest income is buyers of E63 wagons. They average low seven-figures, if I recall correctly.

Circling back to the GT3, once you drive one you'll realize that they are the ultimate driving machine. They're extremely versatile and leave you wanting nothing but more road. I started my love affair with cars by buying BMWs, however I've come to realize that I'm not happy when there's no 911 in the garage. Go find one to drive and you'll forget all about the Competition, and you'll probably resent your M2 on the drive home.
Appreciate 0