08-25-2017, 06:10 AM   #13
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
Car already has (nearly) 50-50 weight distribution, you felt like you needed the weight back there? I wasn't planning on carrying weight all winter. I'm not in the great white north, but I get lake effect snow so we definitely can get dumped on at times... We've had 20-30cm in a day before.

I'm planning on going for a square winter setup though, with narrower-than-suggested wheels in the rear (which should be beneficial for snow and ice traction). I'm not quite sure why BMW specs wider rear tires (keeps the stagger) for winter - it's the opposite of what you want. I'm looking at going down to an 18x8 or 18x8.5 (if I can find them) all around with 225/45R18 tires (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2) that I already have from my Audi.
50/50 distribution isn't going to help in deep snow, you need those rear wheels down for good traction.

As for the square set up, with this amount of torque on the low end, it honestly won't matter. Plus, I find staggered much easier to control when in a skid, larger contact patch out back to regain control.
Appreciate 0