View Single Post
      08-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #1
ajvdh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Intermittent speaker failure

I met some friends for dinner this evening, and when I started to drive home, I noticed the speakers in the drivers door seemed to be dead. I turned the balance to full left and fader to front. Sure enough, no sound from the door, though I still had sound from the center speaker. I tried opening and closing the door, and rolling the window down and up, to no avail.

I went home, shut the car completely off, then turned it back on. Still no joy. So, I resigned myself to pulling out the Technics PnP harness, and then calling the dealer tomorrow. I didn't think the harness was the problem, but I didn't want any static about introducing foreign substances into their precious body wiring.

It took a few minutes to get my stuff together. I figured I'd give it one more shot before I started ripping the trunk apart. Lo and behold, sound! That was about 45 minutes ago. I went out and checked again. Still sounds completely normal.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have an idea as to the cause? The fact that letting the car go all the way 'cold' seemed to fix it makes me think something didn't work right the previous time the infotainment system booted up. I wonder how long it takes to fully shut down.
Appreciate 0