07-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
srleadjb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
I just talked to a BMW genius about this a few days ago. The Dragon dictation does not work for iPhone users. Much of the Connected Drive functionality is a joke. I still can't set up my email, either. But, I was only trying to do that to gain access to the text reply function, which I can't use anyway so really there is no use for any of it.

So here's what does work. Siri can be accessed by holding down the voice button on the steering wheel. You can tell Siri to read last text and then she will ask you if you want to reply. It works ok. I've noticed the microphone is not nearly as good as in my wifes Mercedes which picks up everything very well. In the M2 (and my M235) the windows need to be up and I have to enunciate very deliberately to get it to be accurate. Carplay works the same way and is entirely reliant on the microphone picking up what you're saying to work properly so I hope they have addressed that for the upcoming Carplay functionality.

BTW, I had Carplay in a top of the line Pioneer aftermarket application and it really wasn't any better than what Siri does now. The only thing I found it useful for was the Map integration, which unfortunately only uses Apple maps, which is better in the most recent IOS (10) but still far from as good as Google and Waze.
Appreciate 1
Em-too279.50