View Single Post
      09-17-2018, 09:53 AM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

TPMS Sensors "Sleeping" Until "Awakened"

I called the Tire Rack this morning and what they told me is that when they ship a set of mounted tires with TPMS sensors, the sensors are inactive until "awakened" after mounting. Apparently they do this to preserve battery life in the sensors, since once the battery is exhausted the entire sensor needs to be replaced.

What they told me to do was to deflate the tires to about 10 PSI, then re-inflate the tires to their recommended pressures. This action will turn the sensors on and they will stay on at that point. I was told to do this in a "clockwise direction" around the car; the lady I spoke with didn't know why they recommend going in this direction, however that is what she is supposed to tell you to do. I did it. I haven't driven the car yet so I can't comment on how this has worked.

The lady I spoke with said that this is normal and to be expected with a new set of tires with sensors shipped from the Tire Rack. She told me to call back if the problem doesn't resolve itself with this procedure.