09-16-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Well, you should be able to tell if there are sensors fitted just by looking at the tyre valve stem: If they are rubber - you don't have sensors.

Maybe put the original wheels back on and try a reset just to check everything is working.

Either way, call the supplier.
I'm definitely calling Tire Rack tomorrow morning.

The valve stems are metal, presumably indicating that the sensors, functional or not, were installed.

Taking the tires back off and putting the original ones on doesn't strike me as worth the effort. These systems are very finicky and if there was any issue whatsoever with the system previously, with the OEM tires installed, there would have been an idiot light illuminated before and there never was the slightest indication of problems the last 6 months. Of course, the system could have broken on its first attempted reset, but the dealer should be able to figure that out without having to remount the original tires.

What is surprising to me is that if there was just 1 tire sensor transmission not being received, I would expect the system in the car to inform me of that, in some way, for example showing pressures for 3 tires but not for the 4th one. Rather, the system is acting as though there are no sensors whatsoever installed in the tires. I can always go back to the dealer, but that will have to wait until October when I come back from my trip.

There appears to have been a change of some sort in the sensors and their transmitting protocols sometime either n 2008 or 2011, from what I have read. I wouldn't think there would be any confusion about which kind to put into the 2018 M2, however, so barring some clown at Tire Rack in his first day on the job, it doesn't seem likely that they would have put the wrong sort of sensors in.