10-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyMetallic View Post
This is a great question.

What about OEM parts that are considered more "invasive" than exhaust. M Performance Coilovers for example. Is the car still considered "not stock" if it has BMW-installed OEM parts? How does that play out at sale / trade in time?

Anyone with first hand experience on this type of thing would be very helpful.
I think folks in the used car market are looking for signals that the car was treated gently. They want the little old lady that took it to see the grandkids. Or the anal guy that washes it weekly, doesn't drive in the rain, and has expel with a coating on top. Performance mods signal the car was driven hard even if it wasn't. And with a non-approved mod (other than Dinan) that that might have been installed incorrectly by a shop or will cause trouble by throwing codes, etc., you can understand why potential buyers would be wary. Even someone looking for mods will have their own opinions. How many aftermarket exhausts are there? I think half the fun for folks that mid are choosing the mods and installing them themselves if they can.

So long story short, you'll be lucky to not to diminish the car's value. That said, you're going to have the car for five years. Get what you want, return it stock for sale, leave no trace, and sell the stuff in the aftermarket. The mods will depreciate more than the car but you'll get some money and five years of driving the car you want. Just don't go nuts. Anyway, my two cents and good luck!
Appreciate 1