View Single Post
      10-23-2017, 03:21 PM   #4
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Mods rarely if ever add value to the car, a buddy of mine put a fortune into his C6 Vette, coilover suspension, supercharger, meth injection etc and struggled to sell if for low blue book, he ended up finding a dealer who exported high power cars to the middle east and he was able to sell it for wholesale blue book. That is an extreme example because a 600 whp Vette has a pretty narrow market.

In your case you have a couple of things going for you, one is your planned mods are not extreme and are reversible, the other is your talking about the ability to sell the car in 5 years, the value will be much lower at that time so buyers are less risk averse when they are shelling out a smaller amount of money for a 5 year old car.

Since your talking about a 5 year horizon I would just buy and mod the car as you see fit and I wouldn't worry too much about resaleabilty. The guys that get hammered are the ones that dump a ton of money into mods and then trade the car in a year or two later.

Not many mods will add value to a car, I see SEMA show cars that are up for sale all the time for a tiny fraction of what they have into the car so as long as you don't have an expectation of appreciating the value you will be ok.

I do recommend doing the whole front of the car in Xpel and the rockers as well as an expanded area in front of the rear wheels. My car just went over 1 year and 20,000 miles and I was inspecting my xpel and it has protected my car against some terrible things. A 5 year old car in super clean condition with mild mods will likely sell easier than one with a bunch of chips in it that is stock.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992541.50