View Single Post
      12-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #904
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'm going to play. Coilovers have a number of benefits when it comes adjustment of ride height, rake, and corner balancing. Adjustable coilovers have the benefit of being able to dial in settings for a specific need. You can dial in optimal settings for a multitude of different tracks or road conditions.

However, those settings need to be continually set for the specific condition of the moment. Otherwise you aren't really using those coilovers to their fullest potential. I proper track setting is likely not going to provide optimal compliance for the trip to and from the track or around town.

An adaptive suspension in a CS model is likely going to give up the edge to a dialed in coilovers setup to a particular track. However, it would allow the user to spend zero time testing and dialing in settings for different tracks and conditions while proving a superior when compared to coilovers setup that hasn't been dialed in to the conditions.

I'm willing to bet very few folks have the time and means to dial in a coilovers setup, and choose to use their favorite forum as guidance.

This assumes you've matched the springs properly to your vehicle weight and tire selection. Don't forget to write down your street tire settings, track tire settings. Or do you swap springs between track outings and trips to/from work?
No denying its a + for someone who will keep the car stock (wich mostly 99% of the M2cs will).

Lets say I'm in the 1%, I would just ad camber plates and track it as is. But in the first place I would not buy it because I get much better value with my M2 or an M2cs for trashing around a track like I do.

I see all these ppl arguing about the car like its supposed to be the holy grail of sports cars and meet all possible criteria they have. You are all wasting your time if you have not defined what are the most important criterias for yourself, afterall your going to drive and there is always a compromise to be made, be it on price, comfort or performance..

The reason ppl refer so often to Porsche is because they probably have the product that is the closest to the equilibrum of all this. Not supercar $, base cars are track capable and they are pretty compliant in most forms. BMW is first sporty/luxury well built street cars and then they make track capable versions of them.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
qnet681.50