View Single Post
      06-27-2016, 03:54 PM   #19
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
Would have thought an M1 would have had more traffic. lol.

Previous owner was said to be Paul Walker...not sure how they acquired this one...but there it is....
That's because an M1 is built and raced and established M gmbh LONG before 99.9% of all the BMW owners were alive today. Heck when BMW was racing M1s I was but a wee little boy, not knowing what a paradigm shift a homologated, built ONLY for racing street car from BMW is. My first "car" love came during BMW's 2nd car built specifically for homologated racing, the E30 M3.

I did see a BMW M1 in person, in its secluded, 3nd natural habitat once. Driving up and down PCH on a random sunny Saturday afternoon I saw a white one cruising about. My automotive sighting of a life-time. The other time I saw an M1 in person was at Auto Club Speedway during OktoberFest. BMW had brought out a race trim long tail McLaren F1, the Warsteiner E30 M3, and a ProCar M1 from the museum and Bill Auberlen and Joey Hand were giving rides in them.

Sigh.

Like I said, 99.9% of people buying BMWs today don't know what great history BMW had in racing and building race cars. Those that do, it's but a distant memory.

By the way, the M1 is "because Racecar" before because racecar. It exists because racecar. There's nothing more PURE than one's reason for being on this planet. Except old school, pre-war Bugattis and some Auto Unions. Those existed because racecar LONG before anything else existed because racecar.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0