Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by windnsea00 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
There is a significant difference driving my N55 M2 back to back with my S55 M2C, you can tell which one is the true M engine quite easily. Reminds me of going back between a S52 and S54, both fine engines but the S54 was obviously a Motorsport built engine.

Yes there are no longer ITB's and solid lifters but its responsiveness and rev happiness along with its more mechanical sound makes for a far more lively experience, I find myself keeping the S55 revved up more while the N55 can be short shifted quite easily and feels far more laggy from the right foot.

Quite a few hardware differences: http://s3.bimmerfile.com.s3.amazonaw...S55-Engine.pdf
The S55 definitely has more headroom up top and the N55 certainly falters around 5,500RPM but the B58 holds strong, right through the power-band, without any hiccups.

It's basically the best of both motors, S55 and N55, all in one.. The only flaw I found with the B58 is it burns an excessive amount of oil but as with any heavily-taxed BMW motor, it's par for the course.

I'm not biased towards the B58 or S55, as I have a N55 but real recognize real and the B58 is S-motor worthy, which is ready for prime time in any true M car, despite the B designation, IMHO.

Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910931.00