11-18-2019, 06:18 AM   #21
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Baege

(1) To be clear, I think the M2C is a FANTSTIC car. In my mind, no sport car offers more performance for the money.

(2) Between the M2C and 718 CGTS and CPO 981 GTS, I decided upon the 718. As much as I am a fan of the M2C, I felt - and continue to feel - the 718 CGTS offers better overall performance and more fully encompasses other factors important to ME. As is unanimous, the 981 NA F6 offers engine/exhaust acoustics not approached by the 718, or M2C. Otherwise, the 718 far outperforms the 981. . . unless, perhaps, you are a tracker who lives above 4K RPMs. I am not. All my comments reflect spirited daily driving.

(3) Lots of reference to more purely subjective matters, such as the M2C looking ‘aggressive’ and the 718 ‘feminine,’ etc. Such subjectivity is never going to be of any value to you whatsoever. I realize that my performance points made in (2) above most likely are more subjective than objective. Thus, I must ultimately refer to (5) below. All said, I think the M2C is a fine-looking vehicle – ‘aggressive’ – however, I see nothing ‘feminine’ about my 718 CGTS. What do YOU see? What do YOU like?

(4) I think if you posed the same questions on a 718 or 981 forum you are going to find there are an equal number of former/current BEEMER owners who find their Cayman superior in comparison. No opinion is right or wrong, but I do believe ownership bias can be both significant and misleading to anyone considering one versus another brand or model. I do not have to go out of my way to repeatedly state just how much I like the M2C, but I am a 718 CGTS owner and personal bias cannot be avoided.

(5) The ONLY truly objective and meaningful manner to arrive at the ‘right’ answer for YOU is to get behind the wheel of whatever models you are considering. This type of statement is not simply a cliché. Well, perhaps it is a cliché . . . and for good reason. Obviously, you have a lot of seat time in the 981 Cayman, so all you really need to do is spend some time behind the wheel of an M2C to gain valid opinion specific to YOU.

Matt, a frequent poster on this and Cayman forums, recently considered the M2C versus a 718 Cayman. Matt spent considerable time behind the wheel of the M2C and 718 Cayman as part of his decision process. My impression according to his comments on the M2 subforum was that he was leaning heavily toward the M2C. Probably because most of his early comments were based on his impression of the M2C PRIOR to his having the opportunity to drive the M2C. In any regard, Matt recently took delivery and announced he decided to go with a CPO 718 Cayman. I am not surprised, nor would I have been if Matt had decided the M2C was the ‘right’ vehicle for HIM.

I look forward to hearing which direction you decide to take in your purchase between the M2C and CPO 981.

///AVM
Agreed, seat time is critical but hard to come by with a manual M2C. I've driven 2 and got some impressions.

sound is better than I expected
definitely strong engine, but didn't feel much stronger than my b58 at low rpm (which is all I was able to expose given the newness of the test drive vehicles)
manual was a tad rubbery (I know there's a fix)
very precise body control and feel, nice handling car
great size and visiblity

I definitely liked it, but didn't walk away saying "I want this car!".

But i have come to realize without spending significantly more, I don't think I will ever get that feeling again (the last time I had it was 6 years ago on a test drive of a 981S and I've driven MANY cars since then).

So I am leaning towards the M2C now.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2531.00