View Single Post
      10-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #67
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by arquitecto View Post
Artemis, are you sure the “similar aerodynamic aid” SCOTT mentioned wasn’t just the M Stripe Decals?
Maybe it's about the mirrors, arquitecto. There is something "superior" about the original M235i/M2 mirrors, definitely...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Excerpt from a recent BMWBlog interview with M2 designer Al-Attar, tackling the M mirrors versus M235i mirrors topic too:
«We asked Al-Attar about some of the more controversial styling cues of the M2, as well, like the controversial issue with the lack of M mirrors. The M2 mirrors are pulled straight from the M235i while fans wanted the same mirrors from its bigger M brothers.
Al-Attar says that the team noticed during aerodynamics testing that the M mirrors actually fared worse than the M235i’s on the M2. This is likely due to the higher body of the M2 over the M3 or M4. So the M235i mirrors stayed because they offered superior aerodynamics.
The other reason for the lack of M mirrors is the need to differentiate between the M2 and the M4. “What we tried to do with the car is to keep a respectable distance from the M4; the car is very sporty, very fun to drive, but we wanted to keep the distance in positioning the car in the market,” Al-Attar mentioned."»