Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mee2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mee2 View Post
I'm very much in agreement that less traction/grip is always more fun in a rear wheel drive car. I had a GT86 which was absolutely hilarious fun on AD08R tyres as the rears approached the end of their useful life. I could subtly slide it around almost anywhere without fear of travelling at warp speed and having an accident if it went wrong.

I've been wondering what tyres to fit to the M2 when my OE MPSS are worn out. I think a track biased tyre may be the way to go as I do the occasional trackday in the car so need something with a stiff sidewall that won't get all gooey when its hot!

Federal 595 RS-Pro and AD08RS are currently top of the list.
To add to my previous comment I will probably increase the front size to 255/35/19 and retain the stock rear size at 265/35/19 whatever tyres I choose. Hopefully this will tip the balance of the car forwards a little more; especially when combined with my 2.5deg of front camber.

I know the car has plenty of torque to neutralise the chassis but I do feel that the stock setup encourages the car to push and understeer a little on turn-in in almost all weathers. I experienced the same thing on track in the dry, the rears just have too much grip when trying to get the car to rotate with the throttle closed on turn-in!
You can fix this issue with adjustments to the tire pressure. Here are some thoughts for you: first, try the same tire pressure front and rear for street use rather than the recommended staggered tire pressure which runs more tire pressure in the rear. For track use I have a staggered set of 245/40 front and 265/40 on the rear on 18" wheels. For track use I run 2 pounds higher tire pressure in the front tires vs. the rear. I don't have camber plates and my track tires wear pretty evenly. I also have a staggered (245/40 front and 264/40 rear) winter setup on 18"wheels.