03-24-2022, 01:09 PM   #1
bkd705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

bkd's Track & Daily M2C

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey! I’ve spent a lot of time lurking on the forums here, watching other build threads and trying to get inspiration for my own car. Now that I’m finally getting to build my car the way I want based on watching everyone else’s build, I’m excited to be able to share it and hope to pay it forward in a way as well.

A bit of Background

A bit of background on the car to start. Originally I had bought an OG M2, it had been a dream of mine since it was launched when I was in highschool, and I was lucky enough to buy one at the beginning of COVID. It was an LCI slick top in LBB with DCT. Shortly after I joined a local group and made a bunch of friends, one of them taught me manual, and the following spring I bought the M2 Comp I have now, in manual. Unfortunately it has a sunroof, but life goes on and the BSM paint makes up for it.

We’ll start at last summer, as it was my first summer with the Comp. I kept things pretty conservative and just did suspension, wheels and tires. I had some issues sourcing suspension, I had originally bought a used Ohlins kit and had to replace the front struts, and waited 3 months to get the struts from Ohlins. So in the meantime I had grabbed a BC Racing kit and rode on that for the season. For wheels and tires I had grabbed Superspeed RF05RR and 255/275 RE71Rs.

Due to the suspension issues I didn’t get too much track time, and only spent 3 or 4 days at TMP and one day at DDT (Canadian Tire Motorsports Park), I didn’t get a time at DDT, but at TMP I had set a goal for myself to hit 1:19 since the previous year in the OG I was running around 1:21-1:23 on street tires. On one of my timed laps I hit 1:19.4, and the Aim Solo on the next lap was showing I was up about 5 tenths, but unfortunately I binned a corner because I got a bit too excited seeing the green LEDs. Ultimately still hit my goal, but a long way to go to catch up to other M2s running 18s, 17s and 16s.

The Build

The theme behind the car as a whole is to build a daily-able track car. I have put 30,000kms on the car in my year owning it, and try to track every week or two. Luckily I'm young and can put up with a more track oriented car to drive around every day.

Starting in January I started ordering parts. In the Toronto area we have a lot of M2 owners who track their cars, so lots of people to learn from and take inspiration from which is amazing. I’ll drop the list of parts on order here, and then as I receive / install them I’ll follow up with replies to the thread, with photos, thoughts on why I ordered / picked that specifically, and then my thoughts on how they change the car.

Parts List
Parts are linked to their post once installed.

Wheels/Tires/Brakes
4x Apex EC7 18x9.5 ET35
4x Hankook RS4 275/35r18
AP Racing Front Kit
Endless MS35 Pads
Apex Stud Kit

Suspension
MCS 2WNR Coilovers
SPL Rear Toe Arms
SPL Endlinks
Millway Monoball Bushings
Track Tec Camber Shims

Exterior
BMW M235ir Wing
RKP Front Lip

Interior
2x Sparco QRT-R
2x BK Seat Mount

Goals

TMP - 1:18.x
Place Top 3 at OTA (Time Attack) in my class

If you want to follow along more, shoot me a follow on Instagram @bkd705

Last edited by bkd705; 06-07-2022 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 5