View Single Post
      06-21-2020, 06:59 PM   #82
csbear
Major
Rep
Drives: SO M2C

Going to have to disagree with some of the comments made about Porsche here. But there is absolutely nothing in BMW's lineup now that drives like a 981 GT4. (And I am not even talking about the 718 GT4 which is the superior car.)

I love my M2C, but it does not inspire the same level of confidence (not even close) as my previous GT4 did on the twisties. The GT4 is a Ferrari without the big engine, and a superior driver's car to any 911 iteration save the GT class. I have tracked my brother's 991.1 GTS, but it just isn't on the same level as my previous GT4 was.

It's a major reason I have to put coilovers on my M2C as I feel I am going to tip over when cornering.

Also, people continually dismiss the aural pleasure of driving something like a 981 GT4. That car sounded amazing. No M car sounds remotely as good as the GT4 did.

BMW does not make a true sports car. So if one talks about the ingress/egress of a performance car, you need to compare apples to apples.

BMW makes nothing comparable to the Cayman, Corvette, Miata, 570S, S2000 et al, and all these sport cars have severe ingress/egress compared to BMWs. Not to offend my BMW brethren, but BMW M cars are tarted up luxury cars with sport components. They are not bespoke sports cars like the Cayman or 911 chassis.

Anyway, didn't want to change topics from the new M4, but I just had to chime in. Doesn't take away from the fact that I still really enjoy my M2C.

As for the new M4, I do agree with the assessment that we will get used to it...eventually. It requires a paradigm shift in thinking about automobile aesthetics. We are so used to the current BMW grill...for decades it has been essentially the same.

Last edited by csbear; 06-21-2020 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 3
Poochie9104.50
stein_325i25083.00