View Single Post
      04-19-2019, 03:29 AM   #28
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
I worked in the tire industry as a predictive analysis(VD) software engineer. I sat in on weekly drive sessions, design planning meetings and went back and forth with manufacturing plants to build the right tire. I've seen it all from benchmark selection, to predictive analysis to tire builds to test sessions to final production and post production monitoring.

The same PSS can go on any vehicle but the OE PSS has a unique tread compound, unique internal construction and a different tread pattern. You won't be able to spot the difference in tread pattern because the design is similar but the should widths will be different, the pitch will be different and the groove widths will he different...as well as sipes. You don't hit OE targets on a replacement tire, you just don't. The RR targets were ever increasing on every OE program.

Go to the store and pull a PSS in the same size, pull your measurement tape and start measuring the pitch sequence, block widths and groove widths, you'll be surprised relative to your OE tire.

If you really wanna go pro, cut the tire into section widths and then compared apex lengths, ply angles, ply lengths, sidewall lengths, should cap endings, and breaker angles. Careful tho, most Michelin tires are built on a CMM and have a huge single bead which can be a huge PITA unless your bandsaw isn't a POS

You can always buy the same OE tire, just check the DOT code.

Eh we referred to them as OEMs and OEs interchangeably.
Yeah i appreciate they have the "starred" BMW tyres, but that isn't an M2 specific tyre though (which is what I thought you were saying) That same tyre could be factory fit on any BMW with that size surely?

Funny how when a car like a lambo has a tyre developed for it then its a big thing and is played up. But BMW never mention tyre development like that. Seems odd they would go to such lengths / costs and not mention it?
Appreciate 0