United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by j23 View Post
I would have to mostly agree with you.

I had the UCP paired with CDV delete on my e46 M3. It felt good because it was different. However, I wouldn't do it again. The stock CDV is there to engage the drivetrain without introducing shock. And while this can be annoying, I only found it so in the beginning. Once I got used to it, I didn't think twice about it. I've driven manual cars for over 20 years and I personally think that the CDV is a nice precaution to have. I believe it will prolong the life of the flywheel even amongst experienced drivers. A properly functioning valve should be undetectable under normal driving and only showing up when you get abusive with the clutch. When I give my best to shift smoothly and properly, I can't even tell that a CDV is there. It's my understanding that CDV allows the dual mass flywheel a soft engagement to prevent the flywheel from bottoming out and damaging the ears that press against the springs.
As a manual driver of 20+ years, the removal of the CDV from both my E36 and E46 (both of which were driven over 150K miles on their original clutches) was immediately noticeable and an instant improvement.

I can accomodate the restrictor in the clutch line by slowing my leg movement so the fluid isn't trying to move too fast but why would I want to do that?
Different strokes. I personally never had a problem releasing the clutch quickly and smoothly with the CDV. It's just a different dynamic. Some don't like it. Others don't mind it one bit. My point had more to do with the fact that it's there for a reason. I never said that removing it will actually lead to premature wear.
Appreciate 0