View Single Post
      05-01-2019, 06:03 AM   #72
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Gents,

If you haven't bought any hardware yet, I do recommend the 7 UPBMW over the PP86. Very little that I'm doing on the PP86 would work well for the UP since the power balance is so different. If you want a single-item, drop-in solution, the version of the UP that Bavsound is selling isn't a bad idea. It's locked and you won't be able to change the tune if you change speakers at some point, or for any other reason. I tried it and it was a pretty nice tune for a one-item upgrade. Just be sure that it really is the only upgrade that you plan on doing (I imagine it actually sounds best with their speakers...so stock or Bavsound only if you go that route).

The PP86 on it's own is not a satisfying solution, overall. The way I have it tuned I can live with, but just barely. I don't think I can get the tune any better, and I am pretty happy with it all things considered, but only as a "this is OK" solution. Assuming this car and I have a long-ish future (which I'm not sure of at this point), a trunk sub will have to go in, and likely a lot of other upgrades will have to be stuffed into the tiny trunk somehow.

My problem with adding the trunk sub is that then I have to worry about things rolling around the trunk and hitting it, and things in the trunk vibrating and causing noise. This car has so little available space inside it that I'm hesitant to compromise the trunk at all. I can't bring myself to commit to doing anything else to the car at the moment, and I actually don't have time to right now, anyway (crazy days at work).

I may do more later in the spring or in the summer assuming I keep this car.
Appreciate 0