View Single Post
      10-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #18
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Granted, I don't have an M2C, but my M235 has a DMF (same design found in the M2/M2C/M3/M4), and it's made those exact sounds at idle and in neutral since about 1,000 miles. That was 4.5 years and 46K miles ago. When I first heard it, I freaked out because my prior car was a 2012 WRX which had notorious issues for killing rod bearings and when I heard this sound, it sounded vaguely like a rod bearing going out. BUT, in the case of my M235, the sound went away when with a bit of throttle and/or pushing the clutch in. The fact that the sound went away with the clutch pushed in was the most obvious indicator that it's the nature of the DMF.

I've noticed my DMF gets a bit noisier when it's warm out/after driving hard. It's also quite loud when pulling into the garage and the sounds bounce off the concrete floor and tight walls. Also, if I creep the car in at a really low rpm and when the clutch somewhat engaged, there's a notable rapid clanking as I pull into the garage assuming I have the windows down or the stereo off.

Again, all of these sounds have been present since March 2016 and never got worse. My M235 is also pushing around 370whp/400wtq and I'm still on the stock clutch and 6MT (same 6MT as yours minus the beefed up 1-2, 2-3 syncros your 6MT has).

As for questioning your manual driving ability's after 30 years of driving, I too feel the SAME EXACT WAY. I'm 46 and have been driving/racing manuals since 1989. When driving normally, I find the clutch catch points and the way it catches to be inconsistent. A smooth take off and 1-2 shift is very difficult to achieve. Prior cars, I could drive them so smoothly that you'd think they were an automatic. The key on the 1-2 shift is to rev out 3,500rpms. Lower rpms shifts result make things less smooth, especially on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. When driven in anger, I find the 6MT perfect. The problem with the 6MT smoothness in take off and on shifts is mostly due to the clutch delay valve (CDV) in the slave cylinder. You can replace the slave with one from the E-series which doesn't have the CDV. Lots of guys so that on this forum, the 235 forum, and 3/4 series forum.

Long story short, your 6MT and DMF are normal and fine.