No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Are you familiar with rollover noise from the transmission? For example, if you replace a DMF with a solid flywheel, then with gearshift in neutral and clutch engaged (clutch pedal all the way out, up, nothing touching it), and the car idling in neutral so transmission input shaft is spinning you get said rollover clatter.

As a DMF wears on some cars you can get that transmission rollover noise as above. Even with a DMF that isn't that old sometimes you get slight rollover noise. If one or more of the springs fails or fatigues in early life, you could get a lot louder rollover noise similar to a very old DMF.
Cheers mate, and all the helpful pointers by other posters...this is starting to make more sense; all signs seem to point to gear box/transmission/clutch issues, but not necessarily specifically down to a failed DMF by itself.

Normally, I like to figure things out and provide an explanation as to why things happen…so until my dealer can get me in, I’ve kept digging into this it. Here is what I have come up with thus far:

1. if one engages the clutch, that means pedal is not pushed in and clutch disk is engaged to the flywheel. If noise is present in this state --> then this might point to a gearbox bearing failure.

2. otherwise, if clutch disengaged, that means the pedal is pushed in and clutch disk is disengaged from the flywheel. If there is a noise at this point, then likely the throw-out bearing might be the problem.

In my case, the noise is evident only when the clutch pedal is not pushed in, stationary and the gear lever in neutral – indicating a falling gearbox bearing. Might be there in other times, but the road noise, engine revving and all might be masking it.