09-14-2020, 09:22 AM   #52
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by compguy36 View Post
Having owned an M2C and now a 718 GT4 I'd say both cars are amazing. Each in there own way. Drag racing them side by side does neither car justice. Both punch above there class on track too. Just got back from 2 days at Watkins's Glen with the GT4 and I was consistently 3-4s faster than I was in my M2C. That said I also gave another M2C a point by or two out there. I love my GT4 but also loved hauling 4 extra wheels in my M2C and being comfortable for the 4-5hr drive. I read many of these comparison threads. Rather than comparing, appreciate what each brings to the table. Can't go wrong with either.
This is the crux of it all. Very well said.

When I am at the track and it starts to rain, do all the GT3’s and GT4’s envy the fact that I put my PS4S “rain tire” on and go have fun on the track? Of course they do.

When it’s dry, do I envy that extra special driving interaction the GT3/4 has compared to my M? Of course I do.

Having inbuilt rain tires is great when it rains but when it doesn’t I do have to muck around with changing wheels. Do I envy the “arrive and drive” ease of a GT4? Of course I do.

When I take my family out on weekends and both my son and I terrify my wife on the twisty bits, am I having the cake and eating it too? Of course I do.

Incidentally due to very practical considerations I could own a GT3 but not a GT4, since to make it up the driveway the car needs to have sufficient clearance or a front end lift. Sooo many things go into making a buying decision...

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
sdhotwn2128.50