DARKMTTR
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 Competition & '18 X1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobert View Post
Very nice write-up and pics! Brings back memories of my ED trip - and a return trip earlier this month! We must have just missed you around Lake Como on 6/8 (actually, I did see two black M2s on my trip, but I can't rem exactly when - it's possible we saw you at some point). We were at Villa del Balbianello that day (had the rental M2 - blue - back at our hotel).

I feel your pain regarding some passes still being closed - I also whiffed on some passes there earlier this month - hit Grossglockner and Klausen but found Gotthard (as of 6/6) & Furka/Grimsel/Susten closed. It's a roll of the dice when you book a trip in June. Gotthard opened while we were down at Lake Como, so I "ran" it on the way back up to Stuttgart, but it was pouring that day (6/10). Sorry it was still raining for you the very next day! The other three passes nearby were still closed at that time (in fact, Susten was STILL closed as of yest) - another excuse return in the future!

Sorry you missed Stelvio - it's pretty hairy going up the steep side, with it being so narrow and with super sharp turns. I had heard that other passes are more fun to drive and, having done it on my ED trip, I tend to agree; however, Stelvio is def an experience.

Was also just one day ahead of you at the Porsche Museum! I didn't know Porsche had a factory tour until we got there - considered doing that and skipping the Mercedes Museum, but I plan to come back, so glad to hear you enjoyed it.

Also glad you were able to get the service done and hit 250 kph - I had a similar plan on my ED trip (getting the service done in Stuttgart) but it didn't work out; however, I was probably hitting the limiter on this trip around the same time as you (once on A6 up to Rothenburg and a couple more times on A9 heading to Munich the next day).

Thanks again for sharing!
We just missed each other by a slim margin! It sounds like you had a great trip as well.

While I was disappointed that I wouldnt be able to hit the infamous Stelvio, I felt that given the amount of driving I was doing each day, hitting more than two passes would have been exhausting. In hindsight, I'm glad I was unable to as now there are passes to explore for my future trips!

Although, hitting 250 was exhilirating, I found that most of the time I was hovering around the 170km/h - 200km/h speed range on the autobahn. It was hard to find good unrestricted strips to really push it.

Thanks for sharing your trip experience