05-20-2020, 11:11 PM   #103
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
You win bro, I'll let you have the last word, if you do me a favor; since you love your aluminum charge pipe so much, drive around for like a hour, pop the hood and give it big, tight, beer-hug, with both hands..
I've done that alot on my m235i... I give it a shake to make sure the silicone coupler is still tight or if thermal expansion loosened anything. It's not even that hot for me (it's about the same as anything else in that area of the engine bay). You'd know if you owned one and didn't spend your time speculating, I still don't advocate it since you can bump into something hot, a better way to test is with an ir thermometer. You can try the same thing on the factory pipe, grab and shake it a bit, oh wait you'll break the flange.

The only thing that's really hot is the ofh, oil lines, and the coolant expansion line, and of course the turbofold.

Don't forget, metal cools faster too, when you take hot tin foil out of the oven it's safe to touch mins later, same can't be said for plastic. So as soon as the car is moving again that metal charge pipe will cool, unlike the plastic pipe that stays hot.