10-04-2015, 09:32 AM   #231
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Which is a point without a point. You ever see a broken N54 block? There are 800 HP+ cars out there. That engine is a brick shit house. Seriously, it's one of the strongest motors out there. I suspect the upgraded N55 will be too.

So again, even if your assumption was somehow supported, how is it relevant? How freaking strong does it need to be before it's all a wash? That's the beauty of all of these engines...you don't have to worry about the bottom ends. Literally none of them. N54, old N55, new N55...they're all very well built, with plenty of strength to handle big power over stock.

If an old N55 can hold 500 bhp, literally forever, and the new one can hold 600 bhp, forever...and you're going to run it at 400 bhp, then how the heck is the difference relevant beyond dick swinging on the internet?
I see that you're quite fond of your N54. I loved my modded N54 as well.

You might be in a position to be better informed on the potential and longevity of these engines (N54/N55) than I am. I only see what goes through our service shop, what I read on the net and what the guys on our race team opine. While I modified my N54 and never had a single issue with it, I have yet to play with the N55.

However, if the strength and reliability of the N55 is good for 500hp as you say, then BMW is going through a considerable amount of time and treasure to strengthen the bottom end and block just for kicks ?!
Appreciate 1