View Single Post
      11-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #117
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
What is CarPlay and why does every one want it?!

As the title say really. I simple don't understand the fuss about CarPlay.

For those of you not already familiar with it the following is taken direct from Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/uk/ios/carplay/

Quote:
Available on selected cars, CarPlay is a smarter, safer way to use your iPhone in the car. CarPlay takes the things you want to do with your iPhone while driving and puts them on your car’s built-in display. You can get directions, make calls, send and receive messages, and listen to music, all in a way that allows you to stay focused on the road. Just connect your iPhone and go.
Let run though each of these features one by one.

Directions - It's called a satnav. Most cars have them these days and the M2, at least in the UK, comes with nav out the factory at no extra cost. Apple maps sucks balls. Can i use Google maps instead?

Calls - Yup, we've had bluetooth car kits for years. What's so special about this version.... phone rings, i press a button on my steering wheel and BOOM car phone!

Messages - Really, should we be reading off a screen while driving? I say not. Is it so hard to read them of the phone itself when stopped at the lights? No. Road safety statistics (for the UK at least) show using your phone while driving to be as dangerous as drink driving. Is it really worth it?

Music - Yup got that to. Even my 1980's Mk2 Golf GTi had this. I think they called it a Radio Cassette player. Ok time moves on, we have CD players now. ok, ok, MP3 players. ok ok, all your musics on one device. Well 99.999% of the time I only listen to Radio 4. The other .001% ALL the music I own is stored on a USB stick as FLAC. USB stick £10. iThing £££

My point is what exactly does CarPlay do that we don't have already. Is it a problem looking for a solution (alla Apple Watch) or am i missing something? Or is it case of iSheep following the wolf?

Is apple trying to break into the car entertainment market by asking car makers to install dumb screen and rely on the user to bring the functionality with them (like the airlines are doing)? What makes Apple think everyone has or wants an iThing?

Seriously guys help me out here, what am I missing?

Last edited by CommitConfirm; 11-03-2016 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 3
BMWZ41912.50
J.M263.50
Lincoln30143.50