View Single Post
      04-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #89
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts | Installation and Review **4.2.2021**

Finally got around to installing these mounts to improve upon general driving characteristics when engaging gear shifts. Been busy with refining my S2000 with fresh OEM and aftermarket track duty parts so haven't focused much on the M2C lately.

The install was fairly straightforward. I've listed out the process for anyone wanting to do this below. Overall, it's a noticeable difference in driving feel and performance. Here are answers to questions often asked about these mounts.

NOTE: These mounts are only applicable to manual transmissions.

Why get these mounts?
The OEM mounts have a large amount of deflection (transmission movement upon load) with it's offset design allowing for a softer gear exchange while focused on NVH compliance. RE mounts reduce that deflection by introducing a harder neoprene rubber compound to offer greater transmission stability during gear changes.

Is there any increase in NVH (Noise, Vibration, Harshness)?
No. There is no additional NVH being introduced into the cabin or through the steering wheel. Upon idle you can feel more vibration ever so slightly by placing your hand on top of the shift knob, but it's almost unnoticeable. This is mostly probably attributed to the neoprene material vs. the stock material.

Where do you experience the biggest change in driving characteristics?
Biggest difference are gear changes 1 through 4 at low speeds. It effectively eliminates unwanted deflection when shifting into gears on up shifts. The ambiguous and vague throw from 1st to 2nd gear is vastly improved and more precise. High speed changes are more pronounced and connected. It also adds greater distinction between 1st and reverse gears. As you up shift past 4th gear, 5th and 6th gear changes remain close to stock feel. Downshifting is also more precise from 1st to 4th gears.

Is the installation process difficult?
Yes and no. For those comfortable getting underneath their car, it's fairly simple. For others not comfortable on their back, it may prove to be more difficult. Obviously having a proper lift with a transmission jack nearby makes the install fairly simple. The hardest aspect is removing the 2 top nuts on the OEM mounts given the lack of space while using a box wrench. Once those are removed with some patience, the rest of the installation is simple. Linked below is well done video from another owner which details the process. Should only take about an hour. It maybe be longer, as in my case since I had to let the car cool off after driving to my friend's home. NOTE: Be safe and ensure the exhaust is completely cool before getting underneath the car. As always ensure the car is properly jacked up and don't perform any work work under the car if you're uncomfortable.

Installation tips in addition to the video and pics offered by others on this install:
  • Ensure car is completely cool including all exhaust components.
  • Use jack pads if raising car on jack stands
  • Check to ensure car is properly supported before getting underneath.
  • If using a QuickJack, you will not have side access to get underneath the car, making it a bit more inconvenient getting in and out underneath the car.
  • Using a floor creeper is highly suggested for ease of movement.
  • The transmission brace is not visible underneath until you remove the underbody panel.
  • Remove the panel using a small 1/4" ratchet so you don't break the bolts.
  • Use the smallest 13mm angled box wrench given the tight space for the top nuts being removed.
  • Ensure you have the transmission supported with small jack, wedging a used phone book between jack and transmission for even weight dispersion.
  • Take a break if you get too hot or uncomfortable.
  • Have a friend nearby handing you tools you need to avoid getting in and out underneath the car (will make the job go by much quicker and makes it more fun to do with someone).

How much did it cost and where can I buy it?
$60 plus shipping from Rogue Engineering website: https://www.rogueengineering.com/Rog...nts_p_137.html

My overall summary is this maybe the "biggest bang for your $$" modification on manual M2’s. This was the third step of improving my manual transmission after installing the MP shift knob. So far the $10 Burger Motorsport dead stop eliminated the dead space with engagement (worth it). The MP shift knob (personal preference for high $$) and the $59 RE mounts have improved the overall driving engagement (worth it).

My next step is further improving shifting dynamics by installing the Ultimate clutch pedal and then finally the AutoSolutions short shifter. Doing this in succession will enable anyone to really tell what makes the biggest impact in driving characteristics while spending the lowest amount of money possible. I hope this review helps others.
Attached Images

Last edited by GarageMadness; 04-03-2021 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 2
tenkies147.00
Rumbloki177.50