11-27-2019, 06:04 PM   #142
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
It's cheaper to code interfaces onto a display than to build tactile knobs and levers in a car.
USN is replacing their ships touch screen with throttles and knobs following investigation result from the USS John McCain incident that took out some sailor's lives. https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49319450

The giant slab of glass might as well be an extension of your smartphone (which in many cases it is). Considering laws against driving and use of smartphones, I am surprised lawmakers allow growth of these giant slabs. Muscle memory enables the driver straight to the dial or lever for adjustments. When such adjustments are embedded in menus and interface tree structure, how long does one take to get there? Sure one can program in their favourite, but it still take eyes from the road to double check your menu locations. Well let's compensate that with more functionality like Autopilot.

Like Efthreeoh, I find myself appreciating the simplicity and unfettered driving experience from older vehicles.
I think the peak development of ergonomic car driving environments was with the BMW E30.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 11-28-2019 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0