11-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #67
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkila View Post
I never had issues with All Seasons, but you have to be slow in turns. Winters give you more confidence but they are terrible when the roads are dry and the ride is bouncy when your car has sport suspension. All Seasons offer the best compromise IMO. They also wear out less and you have more fun when the roads are dry than Winters.
I live in central Virginia. It occasionally snows. I drive up to Northern Virginia (DC area) to go to work. I have a 4 wheel drive truck for real snow. But usually, because you can get stuck in DC traffic literally for hours during a DC snow storm, I just work from home when it snows.

Which explains why I use high performance all season tires on all my cars. It doesn't snow here enough nor deep enough to merit a dedicated set of snow tires. Summer tires are too soft to get decent mileage out of them. The loss of grip between summer tires and All Seasons is not that big of a gap for any type of street driving IMO. When I bought my Z4 Coupe in December 2014, it had Michelin Pilot Sport summer runflats on it. I drove the car all that winter and never noticed any sort of loss of control due to driving summer tires on cold pavement. My sport-package E90 came with Bridgestone REA050 summer tires. Bought in May 2006, I drove it all winter of 2006 and never lost control of the car nor had an accident because of some perceived (and unexpected) increase in braking distance. And I live rural with great driving roads starting just at the end of my driveway.

People who say driving summer tires in winter on cold pavement (not snow covered pavement) is like driving on ice skates is just utter bullshit. People who say driving on (high performance) All Seasons is a compromise is again, utter bullshit. Live in an area of the country where it is cold and snowy all the time, then sure winter tires make sense. But All Seasons hold their own in most winter situations and return better tread life than either winter tires or summer tires without much compromise in cold or warm weather grip.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 3
Humdizzle6024.00
kern4174442.00
BMWM5NYC496.00