View Single Post
      06-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #11
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Is there an area of the mirror where you can safely pry without breaking the mirror? I've seen youtube videos and the guys pry from the edge and you can see a lot of flex. Seems like a roll of the dice to remove these.
The driver's side doesn't have the groove in the back so I don't think you'll have trouble there (in fact, most of these broken mirror posts are all passenger side!). My troubles came from the fact I removed the driver side mirror quite easily, and with my confidence I attempted to remove the passenger side mirror the same way.

You want to avoid putting a a large amount pressure to the right of the groove for the passenger-side mirror. So that would suggest you need to wedge your tool more towards the center, either top or bottom (or even the inside edge).

IF you do wedge from the right side, make sure the point of contact on the mirror is left of the groove (if that makes sense - you'll need a curved tool). In general the closer to the center your tool's contact point on the mirror, the less flex there will be on the glass and more force directly pulling the tabs out, which is definitely a good thing.
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23688.50