F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Thanks for the well researched posts as always

What oil do you recommend then, the OEM BMW MSP/A (part no 83222365988)

Or is there an aftermarket alternative?

BTW the 922 oil part number is not recognised by real OEM or BMW parts retailers here in the EU...
I honestly don't know if this would be considered well researched, I tried to dig up as much info as possible but as per usual bmw is really cryptic about why they make changes. So just as a precaution since I've seen so many diffs have issues and alot of issues were also oil related even when saf-xj + FM was used (which is also for lsd's, and the only real difference being extra friction modifiers), so I wanted to stick with what bmw recommend since aftermarket oils could have more or less friction modifiers vs stock (Castrol was unable to confirm for me if their oil was bmw approved which sketched me out alot) which may or may not cause issues.

Yes I recommend the OEM msp/a, keep it safe imo these diffs are way too expensive to play it risky. Just do frequent flushes if you track alot and you should be fine. I also don't believe you would get any gains with an aftermarket oil like you would with engine oil because you won't really increase weight so you shouldn't get any more shear stability at higher temps. Sure the base stock of oil might be more durable but I doubt the shear stability would increase too too much as a result especially if it has to meet bmw's requirements, because that could mess with how the clutch packs engage hence why all the oils are 75w-140.

If you cannot get msp/a get saf-xj, then if you cannot get that go after market with syntrax first then all the other options last.

Yeah I always said it was supposed to be msp/a 83222365988, and not saf-xj. Which is weird why the usa is pretty much all using SAF-XJ. This is even weirder because the US normally gets things Canada doesn't because their market demand is larger. I'm not really complaining so thanks bmw for not giving Canada the short end of the stick like most companies would lol.

But overall what I've noticed was Canadian cars, EU cars, not sure about Aussie cars all get MSP/A. The US gets SAF-XJ, I am not sure about mexico or south america because not many people post service reports.
Megator517.50