View Single Post
      08-24-2020, 03:18 AM   #96
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Yes SAF-XJ is indeed designed for use in the ///M limited slip diff as it was the original fluid at the time of launch for the f87 platform, the only thing is bmw updated it to msp/a after diff issues and the large recall occured in 2016. This is why I personally would prefer msp/a just as a precautionary measure incase there is a vital reason bmw made the switch in fluid. But since alot of dealers are still using saf-xj without seeing a huge reported case in diff failures it should be ok, and my previous fears of anything but msp/a being used should be a little bit lessened after continuously following diff fluid flush reports (with saf-xj) for the last little bit and not seeing failures.

It is also insanely concerning that so many dealers are messing up simple diff fluid flushes with fluid that is not even remotely close for use. I can sort of understand why dealers used to mess up by using SAF-XJ + FM because this fluid was used on the E9x m3's limited slip diff and is very close to the saf-xj required for the F series M diff. But SAF-XO is used just on regular bmws and shouldn't ever be used on an lsd. So unless the tech is absolutely idiotic and incompetent and did not run through the ista protocols for diff flushes and went with what was in his mind (in this case what they normally did for normal bmws) there should be absolutely no reason for this mess up. This is what really infuriates me about dealers and the idiots they let work as techs, especially since you are the second case in which the wrong diff oil was used. So I really should give my own dealer some credit, I never really trusted any dealer even my own but after looking at all the work they have done on my car and other cars (a local m2 had a serpentine belt break and get sucked into the engine through the front crank seal and this dealer repaired it) without any issues and everything done to ista protocol (including torque specs which is rare to see as techs normally go hand tight and never use torque wrenches) I really do appreciate and trust my dealer now.

Also if you plan on keeping the car long term you need to some how get the dealer to warranty the diff long term.

Could you also keep me posted on the servicing they do (oil change etc) for the final service? I am interested as well since my final service is coming up.
Thanks for the well researched posts as always

What oil do you recommend then, the OEM BMW MSP/A (part no 83222365988)

Or is there an aftermarket alternative?

BTW the 922 oil part number is not recognised by real OEM or BMW parts retailers here in the EU...