View Single Post
      06-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #68
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
The steering feel accounts for 80% of the driver-road connection, and is the first thing that can be felt when driving my 135i (hydraulic steering) and M2 (electric steering) back to back.
The other minor differences are seating position (M2 doesn't tilt back as much) and foot pedal positions (it seems to me the gas pedal is pushed to the left by the huge center console.
All other differences (and there are many of them) are in favor of the M2.
The EPS rework on the M2C helped a lot. I spent an afternoon on the 1/2 mile Michelin skidpad with my M2C last September specifically evaluating EPS feel -- steering wheel torque build up versus lateral loading, feel approaching/at/over the limits of the front tires, drifting, etc. I was directly comparing it to my E90 M3 with an excellent HPS.

Is it perfect? No, but it's much better than earlier EPS attempts by BMW. It's tad numb when you're at/just over the front contact patch limits, but nothing major. Also, when you have a large lateral load in the chassis and have to quickly let up (open up the wheel, say to avert something in road) and then get right back into the major lateral loading, there is a bit of a disconnect feeling as you reacquire the previous cornering load.

Seating position with the M3/4 seats coupled with the great level of steering wheel travel is outstanding (for me). I can put the seat back to fit the pedal distance just right, and then still have enough steering wheel travel to fit my arms perfectly. So adjusted, the 6MT shifter is perfectly located. Getting back into the E90 M3 yields not quite enough wheel reward travel and the shifter is a tad too far away with the seat back where I need it (6'2").

Nonetheless, the M2C is staying put for now. My wife loves the car (she mainly drives it), so our plan to flip it right away if it was awful wasn't required.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 1