F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabuda999 View Post
My car is the N55 M2,
I'm running Wagner EVO2 Competition intercooler and BM3 Stage 2 91oct tune.
I got max 125C(257f) oil temp and 105C(221f) water temp until I stopped pushing it. What's the safe zone for our cars?
117ºC max for water temps before yellow limp mode is hit so stay below that and you are ok, a bit higher and you will hit red limp mode. Max oil temp you want to be is at 132ºC but limp mode is way higher but at that temp your oils is going to be very thin.

This is an indepth guide to bmw's limp mode temps: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
I'd be very concerned about oil degradation at those temps. My E90 M3 would push to around 270f on track, but it runs nice thick 10W-60 which can better withstand the heat.
HTHS is what you should be looking for when getting an oil capable of handling high temps on the track not oil weight. Also note bearing clearances could be a factor on super thick oils, so for the m2 I would stick to a 40 weight at most.

That being said if you do not want to flush your oil out constantly from running a track oil like 300v which is not really suitable for daily use as it is not LL01 certified meaning it does not have a suitable NOACK rating, and additive packages might not be up to speck I would stick to a daily use oil with high enough specs that can handle track duty.

So this would mean something like valvoline full synthetic advanced which has a pretty good tbn rating, and has an HTHS of 3.7 which is quite good. Or my personal choice penzzoil platnium euro 5w4 which has really good TBN ratings, excellent NOACK in the 6% range, and a HTHS of 3.6 which is equivalent to motul xmax 8100 0w40 at 1/2 the price with equal specs (this shows price is not a good indicator of oil performance). Penzoil platinum euro 5w40 also has a better NOACK, higher HTHS and better specs overall than liquimoly leichthauf 5w40 as well (again this shows price is not a good judge of oil quality). Then comparing to non-LL01 approved oils (but they are claimed to be by the manufacture, maybe they meet LL01 specs but bmw never liscenced them who knows but some of them do not meet the NOACK rating though) such as ams oil european car formula 5w40, and redline professional the specs are similar to Pennzoil but the only benefit is that it has a 3.7 HTHS rating vs. pennzoil with a 3.6 so not much better for 2-3X the price. So overall penzzoil has a really good HTHS rating for a 40 weight oil and it is near the top for LL01 approved oils at a fraction of the price so this is what I personally will run when I run out of free oil changes.

If you want a really do not care about LL01 approved oils and want the best 300v is your choice (but you probably will have to flush your oil loop out so you get the best characterisitcs of the 300v oil and have it undiluted by the stock oil which will cost alot and you have to flush it to go back to the street), if you do not want to pay 300v money redline has a 5w40 oil that is suitable to be a ll01 replacement (even though additives or composition of the oil, prevents it from being certified as a real LL01 which is why it is not LL01 approved) and has an HTHS in the ~4.4 range. So this redline is what I would run if I only wanted 1 oil for street and track and did not care about LL01 but didn't want to stray too far away from what bmw recommends to avoid carbon build up etc.

Here is the bmw LL01 approvals for anyone interested (please be careful not to fall for the manufacture's tricks saying an oil is recommened for LL01, or meets LL01 specs because they could be misleading you, so always check this guide by BMW which is semi regularly updated to be sure) :https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ply/1VnYpiUbyG

PS: Sorry for the rant which may be incoherent, feel free to ask for clarifications.
ZM22825.00