Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
That's 100% intentional.
They don't want to sell an electric car but they have to, and their philosophy is -if you want it you want it - and are willing to pay a lot more for it.
They do the same for custom colors, etc.

(I had family go look at the plug in 5 series, and no joke, the salespeople are telling him not to bother if they are looking for an electric as it only gets 20 miles range, as if that's a bad thing! His commute is only 10 miles and he'd never use gas and save a fortune over a tesla (lease to lease), plus be able to refill in a pinch anywhere).

Seth
wow that's a shame. I just picked up my MY20 530e in October and it is a fantastic car. When compared to the ICE 530i it is a better buy unless you're in a very specific set of use cases. Especially if you can charge at home!

Some advantages:
  • Run the AC or Heat to pre-condition the cabin on a schedule or via the app (ICE can only "ventilate")
  • Gets HOV lane access in some states
  • Super smooth electric driving allowing you to reduce time wasted at gas stations
  • EV tax credit
  • No markup over ICE
  • Less brake wear thanks to regenerative braking
  • Electric motor torque so you feel more punch
  • No HP loss over ICE
  • Faster AC & Heat as they run off Hybrid Battery and don't need to wait on engine to reach temp for full power
  • No Engine Start/Stop
  • Etc
Appreciate 0