View Single Post
      10-04-2020, 02:05 AM   #257
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

I had the M-Performance coil overs installed last week to my otherwise stock 2017 OG M2 6MT with 35,000km. Ride height was set at 605mm rear, 600 front which is as low as I dared for my driveways. The damping was left at the factory settings.

After 500km, I’m very impressed. I’ve found the ride better overall. Small imperfections are absorbed better with less patter and a comfortably firm, level feel. Large bumps and dips are dealt with vastly better. Through a couple of depressions that used to have the car lurch into, then the rear hop out of, it now just soaks up with the merest dip. And over tricky crests, the back no longer leaps into the air, instead just immediately settling at the new level. There’s also clearly less lateral rocking/bobbing (head toss) and refinement is, as others have found, actually improved. There is a particularly gnarly section of road I drive with what are essentially very large amplitude, low frequency corrugations varying from the left to the right of the lane. Stock the car would wobble, track vaguely requiring constant steering corrections, and hop alarmingly at the rear. Now, it drives straight, with no lateral movement. However its response to the deflections is more terse, more abrupt - as if similar forces are being absorbed more quickly and effectively. So while you feel that visceral lump in the road, it’s over sooner and doesn’t lead to other unwanted movements.

Braking is also better - without that initial dip when you press the pedal, the energy feels more rapidly transferred. And it’s definitely harder to trigger ABS, plus the modulation both at speed and in town is improved.

Steering feel is quite different - as mentioned it tracks straighter and more consistently, the initial turn in is more direct, steering feel is enhanced and response feels more linear and less corrupted.

Handling brings the biggest benefits - on smooth stuff it sits flatter, resists understeer better and so changes direction more sharply and accurately. On throttle, the rear feeds back more, and the car can be steered much more accurately and faithfully. The more off-camber, the bumpier, the greater the difference - several favourite corners where the rear would skip, rock side-to-side then break traction, the car can now simply absorb the dips and bumps while I adjust the trajectory with the right foot. It’s so much sharper and more at ease on variable surfaces - it makes threading through a series of corners much more satisfying.

I’ll experiment with some different settings and explore more favourite roads in coming weeks, plus try it out on track but for now I’m really delighted with how much better the car is to drive, and how trivial the impact - if any - on daily liveability out of the box.
Appreciate 6
Bee Pee1737.50
PLF693762.50
ASAP10057.00