View Single Post
      09-16-2020, 10:08 PM   #303
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Tell us how you really feel in all seriousness there is much truth to this. The 1M was a parts bin hodgepodge that "shouldn't have happened." And that's what gave it instant cool factor. Combine this with a price tag that allowed all the peasants to drive one and it's a recipe for success.

It's the peasants that create the fervor that launch things into desirability. You need numbers to drive momentum. Do I think the 1M is truly collectible? Nope, it's just increased in value because of created buzz and it's still in peasant pricing territory. A $20k gain over 20yrs for a 50k investment is a shitty investment. A 20k gain on an unpredictable depreciating asset is just winning a small lottery. I wouldn't consider the powerball an investment strategy.

The M2C will be the car that gets the attention because, you guessed it, it's going to be cheaper than the CS and provide more bang for the buck. It will be more affordable to a larger audience. The CS will hold value to a much smaller audience. The reason why the current CS buyer's are not buying a C? They want a CS.

There's a difference between collectible and desirable.

If your planning to buy a CS for collectability or desirability, then your buying for the wrong reasons

And don't get butthurt about the peasant reference. Everyone is a peasant to someone else.
Honestly one of the things pushing me to buy the m2 cs is the fact that as my m3 comp has depreciated, I've seen the car become more available to people and while I think its awesome that more people can drive a nice car, I'd like to have something i don't see on the road all the time. The M3s are unfortunately always going to be like this because its mass produced, offered in aggressive leasing, etc

I'd love to go to cars and coffee with an M2 cs, might see 1 or 2, if any in my area

After much back and forth and losing an allocation in my city - I found the car again 8 hours away and I think I'm ready to put a deposit on it in the morning for a week 46 build.

I'm upset that I'm going to trade in my mint m3 comp at a bargain with 8-10k miles in January and full PPF, but I don't want to miss out on this car and regret it later.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0