04-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #52
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
The crooked parking is due to the planform of the car and not the seat. The car is slightly trapezoidal, meaning the front of the car is slightly narrower than the back. This is why you also feel the seat is pointing left. Optical "delusion".

I was told by a designer that this "arrow head" shape makes the car look like it is sleeker and in motion. Like drawing a perspective in architecture with the vanishing point.

Most people use the line formed by the left side of the car to line up parallel with a line on the ground, wall , etc.

Since the side of the car is more or less a straight line, then that line up results in an the right side angling left in relation to the rectangle that is the parking space.

You can try this by having someone help you park with the right side parallel to the line on the ground. Then you will notice that the left side of the car angles right.

I've had this issue with all 2 door M's since they all had this "trapezoidal" plan form. I did not have the problem with the M5 since it is much more rectangular. The worst one was the 135, it was very pronounced.

So next time you park, you want to feel as is you are parking "crooked" with the car "apparently" pointing slightly right.
I think you're 100% spot on, I'm more inclined to believe this is the case. I've noticed this when using the tilting passenger side mirror in reverse, that you can't really use the rear quarter panel as a guide for what's straight because it's so wide and angles out (part of the reason for its aggressive/good looks).
Appreciate 0