02-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #15
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
For the fob problem, aside from the electronics interfering with the signal (very likely, happened to me with a fried dashcam that annoyed the TPMS) have you put in a new fob battery? That should be first.

As for reliability, my car (18 months) has been good, with just a iDrive replacement and a steering rack replacement to rectify a notchy feel that no one noticed but me. And 5 additional service visits to fix things that they left unplugged during the other visits.
Yup I've changed the battery and I even received a replacement key, no fix. It only happened after I put in a whole bunch of electronics so it's probably due to that. Like my dash camera is also wifi based + 2 phones + tablet + wifi mhd adapter + radar detector and so on. Plus my rear dash cam goes along the rear windshield where the antennas are embedded in the glass which surely doesn't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
I don't think you'll find reliability issues with the M2. But what you'll probably find is high maintenance costs as the miles rise. I haven't looked at the schedule since my car has only 12K on the clock, but I'm sure a clutch isn't cheap, and standard things like brake rotors tend to be a LOT more expensive than those of other brands (BMW tax).

So, if you plan to have it 4 to 5 years with average or low miles, no worries, but if you plan to keep it for the long haul then it's undoubtedly going to cost you some coin.
Clutches are around $500 iirc. So pretty cheap imo. Especially since the m2 manual transmission clutch can hold 700 whp/700 wtq according to pure who has a manual m4 making that much power.