03-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #51
Alpenracer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 17' 6MT / BMW 325i 87'

Signed up for this comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
The rod bearings don't look so hot for such a low mileage engine... .

There haven't been any reports of rod bearing failure on S55 that I've seen yet though.

I never wrote a comment on here, but always followed those S55 problem discussions. All those useless fixing parts for the crank hub just hurt to see, if you know a thing or two about those engines yourself.

And now, before we ALSO start a S55 rod bearing sh*tstorm, I registered here to tell you something wich is not told in the clip.

This exact S55 was fueled with ethanol and beaten up very, very badly. Thats the reason for the overall condition and may also for the spun hub. S55 rod bearings are not an issue. They only look like this here, because this engine was abused. An S55 engine, that only ran on the Nordschleife, got its rod bearings replaced at 70k km and they were still not that bad. Therefore, for an everyday driver, those bearings will never get an issue.

I mean, look at all those guys putting ridiculous torque on their S55s, and they still hold up.

Btw, the crank hub and center screw design act as a "fuse" so the timing can be "twisted" a little bit. This can cause damage to the valves like here, wenn it is hard case, but it will prevent much bigger damage, that would occour with a fixed system. This engine maybe was money shiftet or there was a failure with the injection because of the ethanol. Something must have happend, that made a much to big pressure on the piston. With a fixed system, the rods would now may be outside of the block..

Cheers
Appreciate 10
Remonster821.00
akkando5860.00
chris7197273.00
mfurse182.00
pz6193274.00
Robin_NL8679.50
cptobvious2531.50
KevM2720.00
ItsGary1456.50