First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
"Complex machine has unforeseen reliability issue" is nothing new. Thank god for the enthusiasts and after market companies that can come up with fixes to problems years after the manufacturer's stopped warranting them.

Rod bearings and throttle actuators in S65, water pumps and carbon build up in N54, vanos and solenoid issues in S54... Even the W204 AMG C63 had a head gasket bolt problem and excess wear on the camshaft lobe and valve lifter and the engine wouldn't restart if it was "too hot" after a spirited drive. Just don't buy a TVR if you like to sleep easy

I'm going to get extended engine warranty on the off chance I might get a Spun Crank Hub. Otherwise drive it as it was designed to be driven
It's a little embarrassing that some of these even happen with the tools available to the engineers today. The rod bearings in particular, and to repeat it...

Vanos is at least something relatively complicated and has changed a lot over time. One would think they would know in simulation if the engine is going to eat rod bearings.
They're pushing the limits all the time though. It's got to be quiet when cruising, sound like a jet plane when on it, pull like a train from 0 rpm, rev all the way to 8000 rpm, use 5L of fuel per 100KMs and only create an exhaust gas output equal to that of an asthmatic sparrow.

Porsche had to recall the 991.1 GT3 multiple times due to the engine catching on fire, misfires etc. They ended up giving every owner a 10 year warranty on the engine. Not really an issue when you're selling only a low volume of that particular car.

I would think honouring 80,000 extended warranties on the F8x series when they make less margin than Porsche does on each GT3 might not be that commercially savvy.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11468.50
Remonster824.00