View Single Post
      05-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #14
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Mass does have an effect on heat transfer. It's called Volumetric Heat Capacity or "Thermal Inertia". Their claim is correct just by the fact that the tube and fin intercooler has less mass than the bar and plate. Is it noticeable in most conditions? Probably not.

I'm not sure how much faith I would put in car testing where you can't really emulate the same conditions every time. If you want an accurate test it should be done in controlled conditions in a lab.
I had a feeling someone would argue thermal inertia - but that doesn’t apply for materials of the same type, and is absolutely not true in the case of these intercoolers.

iE a 1kg block of iron will heat up quicker than 5kg of Steel.

If there is one block that’s 2kg and another that is 5kg, they will heat and cool at the same rate, however because the 5kg block carries more heat, it will take longer to reach Equilibrium.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1518971

Quote:
I was quite surprised at the ATM vs Wagner results when I reviewed the data. I realized after that, that the whole "tube & fin recovers significantly faster" was just marketing speak.
Note the Wagner did no cool down any faster than the Bar and Plate intercooler, despite having less mass to cool.
Wagner repackaged a disadvantage as an advantage.

Last edited by AmuroRay; 05-26-2020 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0