05-26-2020, 02:37 PM   #13
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Because it is cheaper to produce, and it's part of the reason the stock intercooler is Tube and Fin.

But what isn't true, is the Competition outperforming the Performance model. This is per information from Wagner themselves, test's conducted (2nd party) by Wagner, and the Competition's performance against other Bar and Plate style intercoolers.

You can see that information here:
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31479

What's also false is that the EVO competition series cools quicker than stock -

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...16&postcount=3

You'll note that the Evo 1 was barely adequate for one multi gear pull, before overheating. You'll also note it cools at the same exact rate the OEM intercooler cools at.

Wagner's claim that the tube and fin inter coolers "cool down quicker" than bar and plate is patently false. Mass has no effect on thermal transfer - two similar materials will heat and cool at the same rate.

This is PHYSICS.

Note Wagner does not publish or provide a comparison between the B&P vs T&F cool down - nor could I find ANY evidence to support such a claim. (again, one doesn't exist)

Tube and Fin inter coolers are inherently inferior because they have less total thermal capacity, and ultimately hold less heat. This means average temperatures will always be higher on a T&F unit of the same size compared to a B&P.

Mass does have an effect on heat transfer. It's called Volumetric Heat Capacity or "Thermal Inertia". Their claim is correct just by the fact that the tube and fin intercooler has less mass than the bar and plate. Is it noticeable in most conditions? Probably not.

I'm not sure how much faith I would put in car testing where you can't really emulate the same conditions every time. If you want an accurate test it should be done in controlled conditions in a lab.
Appreciate 0