01-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #171
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
If you can't understand my logic then there's no point of a discussion. We won't see eye to eye.

However given the number of enthusiasts, especially outside the BMW community, who agree with me; I'd say my logic is sound. I certainly do not aspire to own an M240, but the M2 on the other hand...
The M2 is a great car, as is the M240. You'd buy one or the other for varying reasons such as adaptive suspension, cheaper running costs, ownership term length etc. One is better for one purpose, and one is better for the other, neither are best at everything, which is why there's a category for each of them. In your opinion the M2 is "better", because that's the conviction you have, but does that mean the M240 isn't deserving of brand recognition? Have you seen the performance metrics between these cars, they're marginal at best...

If I were forced to chose there's an obvious answer as I'm primarily a performance oriented driver. For some like me, though, I don't want what the next guy can go buy, so I typically build my own setups on base platforms and in general they perform much better than any manufacturer's offering. It's not always a money thing like most of the ignorante's are suggesting, some spend far more building a base car than buying the "built" car. I do often get a kick out of the ignorant BMW owners at the track, especially, they're not ready for a track prepped non-M BMW