m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
This is not an ego thing. I don't even own an M division product. I'm just a BMW enthusiast who sees this marketing gimmick for what it is.

There are significant engineering differences between true M division products and "M performance" products. As others have pointed out there are even different VIN numbers.

Every manufacturer of luxury goods has different grades of their product. That's what makes the finest and most expensive end of their line desirable. BMW is bastardizing their most bespoke product line.
I've owed BMWs continuously since 1990, so I know a thing or two about being an enthusiast and know nearly everything about the brand over the past 40+ years.

Marketing took over a long long time ago, first it was the option of a non-MT to not offering MTs in nearly all modern Ms. Then the trucks came and took over. Then turbos took over. These are not track cars used for professional racing where the speed of a DCT is required, so they should not offer any Ms unless they are an MT, and if you can't drive an MT, you shouldn't have an M. but alas, its all about market share not about a product for enthusiast. BMWs were not about a luxury product, they were about a sports oriented car company.

....look the wars have just begun, a next gen M3 will be the poor mans M3 because of the two M3 models that are being offered above them..u know how its going to be, my M3CS has more power than your pity little "regular" M3 so piss off!!! just pure bs madness as if a car the size and weight of an M3 is a track duty car. Its silly and funny if it wasn't so sad.

People argue that SAVs are Ms, thats the biggest joke ever, and then to make it more fun, BMW offers Competition versions of "M" trucks

and people will argue to their blue in the face that since BMW calls is an X5M Competition, for example, its a real M!!! We all need 600hp to haul a crap around or be an uber for the soccer club!!! A monster truck is a real M!!!!???!!!! Come on, Marketing 101.

But guess what, if someone wants to buy it and feel good thinking they are driving an M because of what the true history of M was and made the letter stand for, so be it, it doesn't affect my life in one bit.

but when those insecure people crap on something because they think it diminishes their purchase, I have to say BS and get over yourself and your ego. Its this attitude that makes so many people have disdain for the brand, and here you have brand owner vs brand owner because some can't fathom the fact that they are buying a marketing M, not a car derived from motorsport.

Last edited by m630; 01-16-2020 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 6
Dylan861330.00
Moflow2484.50
0xdq36.00
A6bullet337.00
PDM5150.00
sq86363.00