10-16-2019, 06:06 AM   #87
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
i doubt BMW would devote engineering resources to programming the different drive modes and different levels of throttle and traction characteristics if they didn't intend for people to use it.

Its just like the auto rev match..you can do it yourself but the computer will do it perfect every time type scenario.

There's a reason the auto makers are trying hard to compete against facebook and google for software engineers.

Its one of the reasons GM's laying off bunch of factory workers...there firing the metal benders to hire more programmers.
The point of different driving modes is to gradually transfer more responsibility for vehicle stability to the driver.

TCS mode turns of brake traction control but maintains engine traction control
Sport mode loosens the slip thresholds at which DSC and TCS intervene
Sport + mode disables TCS completely and loosens DSC threshold while sharpening throttle reslponse
DSC Off mode turns off everything but ABS.

The point of this is to allow the driver to gradually learn how to control the car. If it was a simple All On/All Off you have the Mustang leaving Cars and coffee scenario.

But the ultimate goal is give varying support (including no support) to a driver based on their skill and support them in gaining skill.

I work in the Auto industry and I lead a team of developers working on Electronic Stability Control features and automated emergency braking functions. I'm well aware of how software intensive these systems are. Most of my employees are computer/electronics/software engineers, and some have PhDs in physics or Automotive Engineering. Definitely no metal benders here.

Here is my gripe with this thread:
I just don't understand why so many on this thread put their head in the sand about wheel hop. It does exist, and it is ultimately caused by inappropriate tuning of damping frequencies. Some OEMs have it so bad it causes propulsion half shafts to snap. But all OEMs struggle with it to a point. I'm glad a lot of M2 owners here are not affected by it. That's a good sign. But some are, and there is no need to blame the driver or the tire. Suspension design has to consider tire osculation frequency. The combination of mounting bushings, spring forces, damping rebound and compression harmonics and the oscillation frequency of the tire are the root cause.

When you push the throttle on a smooth surface all you should have to manage as a driver is wheel slip and yaw. Not hop. That's a design issue. Period.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"
Appreciate 3
VisualEcho6631.00
akkando5863.00
Xi-Xi37.00