09-04-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
HS_M2C
Private
Rep
Drives: HS M2C 6MT

Garage List
Talking Picked up a 6MT HS M2C - Some Impressions/Comparisons

Hi All!

The moment has come this past weekend and at last I am with a M2C! Sorry this may be a bit of a ongoing long post. You can skip my story and scroll down to some impressions/pics.

A bit of a weird story about how I got the car. I initially ordered a LBB DCT car. As months went buy I contemplated switching to manual because of a more involving experience. The only downside and main reason I chose DCT was because of my commute in LA traffic. Anyways, it was too late to switch my order as the car was in production.

So, my car arrived and it looked awesome in LBB. I was back and forth between LBB and HS like many of you might have been but upon seeing it in person I thought it looked great. I was skeptical about the wheels compared to the 437M I had on my 15' AY M4 but to be honest, they fit this car and looked fantastic in person.

So I took it out for a test drive and it felt something was missing. Car drove great, but DCT just didn't feel as exciting. Maybe this was because I had driven a GT4 the day before and a PDK 911 a few weeks back. PDK is really amazing but I didn't remember it being lightyears above the DCT in my M4. I was very close to signing but I had an urge to try out a 6MT. Didn't want to be stuck with a car I would regret. Luckily there had been a listing for a HS 6MT for sale. Went to check it out and WOW! HS looks great. Pics don't do it justice at all. Honestly, can't go wrong with HS or LBB. If you want a more flashy car, then go LBB but HS has a pleasing uniqueness to it.

Drove the 6MT and the car felt a lot more involving. It even felt faster somehow. No questions asked I went for it and gave up the LBB DCT. So far, not regretting it at all.

I am not knocking the DCT. The DCT did feel smoother than my previous M4, but I have always wondered how it would be owning a manual and it just felt right for me after the test drive. If you manual shift the DCT it's a lot better than using the kickdown to get around traffic. Kickdown feels a bit better in a PDK IMO.

As for traffic, the car starts rolling in 1st without giving much gas if any so it's not as big of an issue as I thought. This is my first manual car I have owned. I have driven a bunch but I am no where near a pro at shifting so I really appreciate the auto rev match .

Now I am no big time journalist and never write reviews on anything (so bear with me) but I will give a few impressions.

Thoughts compared to my old 2015 M4 (Some will be obvious):

- Power delivery is a bit different. Doesn't have the low end torque the M4 had but instead, mid range is where it shines. (Haven't broken it in yet). I believe this was tuned similarly before in the M4 competition pack.
- Car feels more nimble. As many journalists say it's really the perfect size. - - Steering also feels better but has the same numb feeling. Feels lighter than the M4 felt.
- Rear seating - Passengers just under 6 ft felt fine in the back. Decent legroom. Honestly it isn't much less coming from an M4.
- Dampening and ride somehow feels better than the M4. Although I did not have adaptive suspension. I am sure an M4 with adaptive suspension is better than an M2C.
- Does not sound as loud as the M4 for some odd reason (ill touch on this later)

Thoughts on the color:

HS really shifts colors. A few friends thought it was white from pictures. In shade or overcast it almost looks like a light nardo grey or a porsche grey. In the sun it looks great and there's a bit of a blue and pearl hue to it.

More thoughts on the wheels:

I really think the new 788M wheels fit the car nicely. I might be biased because I am a fan of multiple spokes but it definitely looks better in person. The option on my HS is the lighter style and though I think the darker wheels contrasts nicely with it, the lighter 788M really shows the intricacy of the wheels.

Some issues:
- To me, the car sounds good. Deeper tone than the S55 in the M4. However, it is a bit quiet (nothing an exhaust wont fix). The problem I noticed though is that I do not hear any crackles or pops. I have heard others' sound clips that have crackles/pops but even after driving/revving after the car is warm, I don't really hear the crackles. Anyone know why this is?

UPDATE - Heard the crackles in Sports Plus. Didn't really notice it in Sports mode.

Overall:
Really enjoying the car so far. It's fine on the highway and the size is just great. Never thought 6MT would make that much of a difference for ME. You cannot go wrong with either color or transmission though. You're getting an awesome car regardless.
Attached Images

Last edited by HS_M2C; 09-05-2018 at 05:36 PM..
Appreciate 16
Junni88.00
devo755.00
cptobvious2531.50
StLuis51457.50
ChrisK4449.00
Davil6333.50
dmboone254970.50
qnet676.00
BlkSVT388.50
Robin_NL8679.50
DARKMTTR229.00